torsdag 1. juli 2010

Climbing Onto Wagons

One English translation for the opening of Dante’s Inferno: Canto 1 goes:
“Midway upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark,
For the straightforward pathway had been lost.”

We are to think that Dante was thirty-five when his “Divine Comedy” begins. I can very much relate to that. I, too, was “midway upon my journey of life” when I awoke, as it were, and realized that I had been lying flat on my ass for quite some time. Of course, Dante would be appalled to know
that his words reflect my life entry into a certain philosophy. That matters not, really; because, I believe we all find ourselves being roused at some point, to the realization that we are getting nowhere, and quite quickly, I might add. I liken the experience to being on a wagon. Imagine the wagons steered by those brave adventurers into the wild western frontier of the early States.

Imagine traveling for weeks, when suddenly…you realize that you are going in the wrong direction. What do you do? One choice may be to continue on your journey, and let the fates…or the Wagoner…take you where they may. A choice that may actually be more difficult would be to admit that you are on the wrong wagon, and disembark. This may mean trying to figure out where to catch a wagon going in the direction you want to go.

It can be difficult admitting that you were wrong. The more one has invested in a particular trip, the harder it can be to jump off the wagon. Believe me, I know. My wagon had gone far until, midway upon the journey of my life; I realized I saw no light where others seemed illumined. Though the path was called straight, I was, to use a strange phrase, lost. I know the strength it takes to stop a moving force, and change directions. I also know what it is to jump off that misguided wagon, just to lie in wait.

The biggest obstacle to beginning any new adventure is habit. Making that first step is critical. And even if one finds their proper route, they may nap, and find themselves falling off the back of that wagon. Never mind. Pick yourself up, brush off the dust, and make headway to make up the distance lost.

It is very easy for anyone, at any age, to believe that it is too late to start over. Poppycock. There are some who may not feel as much a citizen of the Infernal Empire as those who joined while young. They may assume that their late arrival makes them less welcome. The truth is, the party is just getting started. You got here just in time. Some may feel that they are unable to invest the time necessary to receive a worthwhile payoff. You will get out what you put in, plus interest. Don’t think that just because you have only invested one year, you will never get “as far” as someone who has invested thirty, or thirty-five or forty. Each person has to begin at his or her own beginning. As corny as this may sound, it is still true: It pays to put the past behind.

There is no shame in admitting that one is wrong. Everyone has to do that from time to time. I feel no guilt over the fact that I was certainly in the crapper for a period of life. I learned from my experiences.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar